Home
LogoLarge
logodi2l
Kelly's Directory 1895: Dilwyn

Transcribed extract for Dilwyn parish by DHG 2010

DILWYN (or Church Dilwyn) is a parish and village on the Leominster and Hay high road, 4miles north-east from Pembridge station on the Leominster and Kington branch of the Great Western railway, 6 north from Moorhampton station on the Hereford, Hay and Brecon section of the Midland railway, 6 south-west from Leominster, 3 north-east from Weobley, 12 north·west from Hereford, 19 north-east from Hay, in the Northern division of the county, hundreds of Wolphy and Stretford, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Leominster county court district, rural deanery of Weobley (first division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. By a Local Government Board Order which came into operation 25th March, 1884, under the Divided Parishes Act, detached parts of Eard island were amalgamated with this parish and Weobley. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Early English, Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, north transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with octagonal shingled spire containing a clock placed in 1887 and 6 bells, cast in 1733 by A. Rudhall, of Gloucester ; the north transept was added, and the existing south porch erected, in the 15th century : in the north wall are marble tablets to the Lambe and Phillips families: there are several screens of carved wood and six stained windows, the east window being a memorial to the Rev. J. Powell, for 50 years curate of this parish, who died in 1866 : the north·west window in the chancel is a memorial to Thomas Corfield of the Great House, Dilwyn, ob. 1770; and there are others to the Rev. Samuel Powell M.A. rector of Stratford, d. 1869, and Lacon William Lambe esq. d. 1871 : the tower was thoroughly restored in 1875 and the bells rehung at a cost of about, £250 : the exterior of the chancel and the south side of the nave were restored about 1882 : the church was thoroughly restored in 1867, at a cost of about £2,500, under the direction of Mr. G. E. Haddon, of Hereford, when a stone pulpit was presented by the Rev. William Hopper, vicar: there are sittings for 460 persons. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rentcharge £328, net yearly value £360, including 43 acres of globe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Frederick Mellor M.A. Of Christ's College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodist chapel in Church Dilwyn, a quarter of a mile east from the church, was built in 1855, and there is one at Stockmoor, built 1864. The charities are of about £16 12s yearly value, arising from lands and funds. A sum of £2 13s 10d. is also distributed in money amongst deserving old men of the parish, and £20 8s 8d is distributed in bread and coals annually. Hill Top, the residence of Lacon Lambe esq. is a quarter of a mile south-west. Daniel Henry Theophilus Peploe esq. of Garnstone Castle, W eobley, who is lord of the manor, Lacon Lambe esq. John W. Wilson esq. of the Grove, Market Drayton, Mrs. Evans, of Moreton Court, Henry Moore esq. John Edward Clowes esq. of Bulton Court, Pembridge, the Rev. Russell Horwood M.A. of vicar of Maldon, Essex, George William Marshall esq. LL.D., F.S.A. of Sarnesfield Court, J. G. Bevan, Messrs. Thomas Burton, of Leominster, George Bray, William G. Chubb, Castle house, Ludlow, Mr. Robert Dent, Corner hill, Leominster and the ·Rev. Richard Evans M.A. Eyton hall, Leominster, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; sub-soil, clay and gravel ; the soil is very fertile and produces some of the finest hops in the county, also wheat, barley, beans, peas and fruit. The area is 6,241 acres; rateable value, £8,675 ; the population in 1891 was 1,062 in the civil and 913 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Sexton, Charles Richards.

Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Herefordshire added).---Richard Patrick, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 7.10 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Week-days. only. The nearest telegraph office is at Weobley

National School (mixed & infants), built with house for master in 1845 & enlarged in 1872 at a cost of £400, to hold 221 children ; average attendance, 106 boys & girls & infants: it has an endowment of £17 13s 9d yearly, of which £11 7s. 9d. is inalienable, & the remainder £6 6s. alienable; James Trembath, master.

[Letters for names marked thus * are received through Pembridge R.S.O.]
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Dent, Matthew Stephen, Newton court *
Godsall, Zechariah
Hall, Thomas Lambert, Town's End house
Hope, Miss, Stocking house
Hundley, Charles, Luntley house *
Lambe, Lacon, Hill top
Lambe, Miss, Hill top
Mellor, Rev. Frederick M.A. Vicarage
Morris, Mrs
COMMERCIAL.
Badham, Joseph, stone mason
Badham, William, cowkeeper, Hadland *
Baynham, William (Mrs.), cowkeeper, The Bar (letters via Leominster)
Bowen, Thomas. farmer, Little Dunwood
Bray, George, farmer & hop grower & landowner, Henwood & Dilwyn farms
Bufton, George,. farmer, Bedford house
Cresswell, Mary Priscilla & Ann Frances (Misses), farmers, Dunwood ,
Davies, Arthur, farmer, Lower Dewell *
Davies, George Lloyd, farmer, Venmore
Davies, Edwin, wheelwright, Stockingfield (letters via Leominster)
Davies, Mary (Miss), farmer, Boyce field *
Davies, Richard, cowkeeper, Upper house Sollers Dilwyn
Dent, Matthew Stephen, farmer & hop grower & landowner, Newton house *
Dent, Robert John, farmer & landowner, Swanstone Court farm ; & at Leominster
Evans, James, farmer, The Hurst *
Evans, John, pig killer, The Common
Farr, Albert, farmer, New house
Gatehouse, Thomas, shoe maker, Sollers Dilwyn
George, Thomas, farmer, The Common
Griffin, Henry, farmer, The Hurst *
Griffin, Joseph, farmer, Upper Dewell *
Griffiths, Henry, builder, contractor & timber merchant, Lower Newton; & at Aulden, Ivington
Griffiths, Thomas Henry, farmer & hop grower, Little Dilwyn & Alton court
Griffiths, Walter, farmer, The Firs
Hall, Thomas Lambert, surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for Dilwyn district, Weobley union, Town's End house
Haynes, Charles. farmer, Stretford bridge
Hope, Frederick, farmer &: hop grower, Lower Chadnor
Hope, Joseph, farmer &: landowner, Stocking house
Jones Benjamin, farmer, Tump ash *
Jones John Charles. farmer, Chadnor court
Jones, Walter, farmer, Plateau cottage
Lane, Arthur, farmer, Rough moors *
Lee, Susan (Mrs.), cowkeeper
Lewis, James, farmer & hop grower, Lower Haven *
Lewis, William, carpenter, wheelwright & pump maker
Lloyd, Charles, blacksmith
Lucas, John, blacksmith
Miles, John, farmer, Lower Haven *
Moore, Henry, landowner & farmer & hop grower, Field's place
Montagu, Henry, cowkeeper
Morgan, Ann (Mrs.), Crown Public House
Nash, William, cowkeeper
Norton, Emanuel, cowkeeper, Heath Wood farm *
Oliver, Fraser. Clee, farmer,Upper Haven *
Palfrey, Thomas, shopkeeper, The Common
Parry, George, cowkeeper
Patrick, Richard.grocer & baker, Post office
Powell, George, farmer, Tyrell's court
Powell, John, farmer &: hop .grower, Bereton *
Price, Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Price, Thomas Prosser, painter & glazier
Pudge, John, farmer & hop grower, The Homme
Richards, Charles . shoe maker. & assistant overseer
Roberts, James, farmer, Stockmoor *
Russell, James, farmer, Pitch farm
Sheward, Thomas, cowkeeper
Smith James. farmer & hop grower, Bidney
Stephens, Edmund, farmer, Hardwick
Symonds, George. thrashing machine owner
Thomas, Richard. farmer, Luntley court *
Tudge, Frederick. John,. farmer, The Great house
Vale, William, carpenter
Watts, James, wheelwright, Brockaly *
Wildsmith, John, cowkeeper. Stockmoor *
Williams, James,farmer,Town's End farm
Williams, John, farmer, Gravel hill
Williams, John, farmer, Luntley *
Williams, William, cowkeeper, Holybush *
Yapp, William, butcher & grocer

NB Some of the personal names were in the abbreviated form in the original version.
We are constantly updating and adding to this website, so it is worth visiting regularly
to keep up to date with the latest news and information.

The content of this site is the copyright of Dilwyn.com and Dilwyn civil parish
and may NOT be copied or used for commercial purposes.
However content may be freely copied for personal use, academic research or educational use.
We endeavour to ensure that the information on this website is correct. However, we do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. We also do not commit to ensuring that the material on the website is kept up-to-date. To the extent that the website and the information and services on the website are provided free-of-charge, we will not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature. See full terms & conditions HERE.