Parish Features

Dilwyn has many historic buildings and interesting features. Most of the central village is designated as a conservation area. There are some 40 listed buildings within the village and surrounding parish.

St Mary's Church

St Mary's is built of local sandstone. The church tower (circa 1200) is the oldest surviving part of an earlier church.
The transept is mid 14th century. In the 15 century the clerestory was heightened & windows inserted. The porch dates from the 16th century. The earlier timber spire was rebuilt in the 19th century.
The tower contains 6 bells and, like the main body of the church, has castellated parapets.

Old Forge & Craft Centre

The 17th century Old Forge cottage is a pretty black and white Grade II listed cottage.
However, the facinating parts of the cottage are the two end gable walls.
From the visible framing timbers it can be seen how the cottage was extended from its original single story form.
It is to be found opposite the village green next to the Crown Inn.

The Great House

The original 16th century timber-framed house was much altered and refaced in brick. The Great House was almost certainly remodeled by John Tyler in the 1730s and the gate, from its style is definitely the same date.
John Tyler was the eldest son of the vicar and residual legatee of another John Tyler who was Dean of Hereford and Bishop of Llandaff and very rich! He bought the farm and upgraded the house when he got married. He and his brothers died before reaching middle age. A dummy 3rd story was removed in the mid 20th century resulting in the present roof appearance.

Karen Court

Although looking as if they were always cottages, these buildings were originally the farm structures belonging to the Great House.
Of 17th century origin, they included a granary, barn and tallat (apple or grain store). Exactly in the centre of the picture is the location of the barn doors that led into the inner yard.
The two right hand cottages were already existing before this sympathetic conversion into 19 dwellings. The complex stretches right up to the church.

Village Green

The essential element of a village. However, the public green is a relatively recent addition to the village.
The green used to be a fenced field that was part of Townsend Farm whose buildings were behind the present green.
When the Garnstone Estate sold off the farm and land, development was not allowed in the area of the green and this area was eventually donated to the village. It is now a protected open space.

Village School

The school was originally established with an endowment from Lacon Lambe (Henwood) and with nine acres of land donated by Thomas Phillips.
The original 1850 building has been extended over the years and is now the home of St Mary's Primary School (now a Free School and no longer under local authority control).

The Crown Inn

The original 17th century timber-framed building is hidden by changes made in the late 18th or early 19th century. Some of the original framework is still visible inside the public areas and old photographs of Dilwyn adorn the walls.
The Crown buildings and land are owned by community with the pub itself run by managers or tennants.

Church House

This Grade II listed cottage, opposite the church, is 14th century in origin and possibly the oldest surviving residence.
It was extensively rebuilt in the early 1800's with the timber-frame being then clad in coursed rubble with a somewhat roughcast finish.
For at least part of its life, the cottage was split into two dwellings and known then as Church Houses.

Dilwyn's Hidden Castle

Castle Plan
Now concealed within private gardens and not accessible to the public, Dilwyn's norman castle was a motte and bailey type structure having a shell keep with a 5 to 6 foot wall thickness. Excavations show a possible square stone keep within the shell. A square keep would be quite rare for Herefordshire. Most of the original upper bailey has disappeared under modern development. The motte, moat, lower bailey and fishponds have survived to varying extents.

Roman Road(s)

The eastern parish boundary is marked by a roman road, Watling Street (west). The modern A4110 follows this ancient road along the boundary to Stretford Bridge. Stretford, derived from street ford, indicates that there was a ford here for the roman road. It has also been speculated that the lane running into Dilwyn from this road and passing the Venmore farm was itself a roman road.

The content of this site is the copyright of Dilwyn.com and Dilwyn civil parish
and may NOT be copied or used for commercial purposes.
However content may be freely copied for personal use, academic research or educational use.
We endeavour to ensure that the information on this website is correct. However, we do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. We also do not commit to ensuring that the material on the website is kept up-to-date. To the extent that the website and the information and services on the website are provided free-of-charge, we will not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature. See full terms & conditions HERE.